Key legislative developments
- The carbon tax bill will come into effect on 1 July 2019. Tiger Brands is prepared to report scope 1 emissions to the authorities as we are already reporting these in our CDP submissions.
- The draft climate change bill, published in June 2018, provides for the effective management of inevitable climate-change impacts. The bill also calls for industry to make a fair contribution to the global effort to stabilise greenhouse gas (GHG) concentrations in the atmosphere.
- The Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) published a notice requiring several industries to submit waste management plans for approval. As a brand owner, this will include Tiger Brands as a producer.
- Water restrictions were announced in July 2018, specifically for municipal water supply.
Environmental sustainability is underpinned by a group sustainability strategy that requires our operations to concentrate on reducing our environmental footprint and avoid environmental accidents. Specific environmental targets include:
- Water reduction target for each unit in 2018 and 15% in total by 2021
- Waste to landfill down 24% by 2021 from 2018 level, with yearly targets
- Energy-saving and CO2 emission-reduction targets for each unit in 2018 and 15% in total by 2021
- 2021 packaging losses reduced by 15% from the 2018 baseline
- All production units to conduct ISO 14001 (2015 standard) audits and retain this certification.
|Carbon emissions CO2-e||0,24||0,23|
|Production output (tons)||2 395 809||2 378 278|